Friday, August 14, 2009

Car Loans prepayment charge/ penalty - Banks fleecing customers

Private banks have occupied the space of old proverbial mahajans/baniyas (I am one too though only by caste :) ), whereby they do anything possible to fleece the customer and increase their ROI. Prepayment penalty is one such thing.

There shall never be a mention of Prepayment charge/ penalty even once at the time of giving a loan. However, most car loans are typically closed at end of 2-3 years in today's enviroment as people change their cars more frequently now. At this time you realise that there was a blank in your loan agreement talking about prepayment charge/ penalty which they did not show you but it got filled sometime after you got the loan and they put this prepayment charge/ penalty as 4-5% (5% nowadays with private banks).

I worked with a Private Bank at the time of taking my car loan and upon asking, I was told that prepayment charge/ penalty was zero for bank employees. However, I did not figure out what'd happen if I left the services of the bank and to my utter surprise, when I went for prepayment I was charged 4% as at that point I was not an employee of that Bank anymore.

As such banks are right in charging a prepayment charge/ penalty to take care of fluctutations in liquidity but very often this factor is accounted for in the pricing of the loan itself. A prepayment charge/ penalty is just additional income and given private banks' hold on the market they were able to charge this. Besides, it started with a 2% amount years ago and some smart managers were able to convince top management to hike it to a level where they'd loose brand equity of the bank for short term ROI increase and career appreciations.

Today, when SBI is all out to gain market share by offering low rates, these private banks would soon be seen rolling back prices as well as prepayment charge/ penalty to make themselves look more attractive than SBI. However, by that time, millions of customers wouod have been duped by this charge.

I plan to take this (high prepayment charge/ penalty) issue to banking ombudsmen one day and would look for support from people who feel that this is a right thing to do. Till such time I advise you to start negotiating with multiple banks for your loan in order to get rid of this clause plus favaourable rates as well. Good Luck.


5 comments:

  1. The world is filled with an abundance of opportunity and we have some new ideas to share with you through which you can multiply your savings. Money management help

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all, I have seen comments from people who have already received a loan from Anderson Loan Finance. I really thought it was a scam and applied for a loan based on their recommendations because I really needed a loan. A few days ago, I confirmed on my personal bank account the amount of $12,000.00 USD that I had requested for a personal loan with a rental percentage of 2%. This is really good news that I am satisfied with and I advise anyone who needs a real loan and is sure to repay the loan to contact them by e-mail.

    They can lend you a loan!
    Please contact Mr. Anderson Ray
    Email: andersonraymondloanfinance@gmail.com
    Phone: +1 315-329-6320
    Office address @ (68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240).

    Respectful,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Investmentbolag Jolengatan 21A 431 49 Göteborg, When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you looking for a loan to finance your project at the rate of 2% in return or Home loan or car loan then Mr Pedro loan offer will be good for you since they offered international loan to individual or company looking for way to expand their business or personal loan because Mr pedro and his working company helped me finance my business at the rate of 2% in return in which I will be closing my loan next year on this date, I really hope to order another loan from them because they are genuine loan company with a very good interest.
    Contact Mr Pedro loan offer on E-Mail: pedroloanss@gmail.com whatsapp: +1-863-231-0632

    ReplyDelete